Hola todos,
Well, this week we had special changes. I wasn´t changed, but
my companion, Elder King, was called to the mission office. I passed him the
curse! President called us late Thursday night, and the next morning the office
came to pick him up. I´m not going to lie, I was pretty bummed. Elder King and I
had really become good friends, and I was kind of holding out hope that I might
finish my mission with him. But, oh well, surely the Lord and President have
their reasons. My new companion is Elder Vargas, a Chilean from the south of
Chile. He was pretty bummed about the changes too because he had just been
changed a week before that because another Elder had to go home early for health
issues, so it was his second special change in two weeks. But, here we are and
we will do the best we can. Back to 100% Spanish... Oh well, it will be good for
me.
As for the Curin family, we haven´t seen them in a few days. We had
a lesson with them on Wednesday about the Word of Wisdom. Hayde, the mom, and
the kids had been drinking coffee and tea, but are willing to give it up, they
already realized that coffee is bad for the body, and only drink it because of
the cold (yes, it is definitely winter-ish in Chile now). Francisco, the dad,
has no problem with coffee, tea, or tobacco, but he drinks a cup of wine with
his lunch every day, and isn´t so sure about giving that up yet. We will keep
working with him and helping him to increase his faith. Solange, the daughter,
is definitely thinking about baptism, but we haven´t been able to really talk to
her about it yet, because every time we ask her a question in a lesson, the dad
answers, but I´m feeling pretty optimistic about her and Matias. However, we had
an appointment for Friday evening, but we saw Matias in the street in the
afternoon that day, and he said that a cousin of theirs had passed away in the
south and they were going to have to travel to the south immediately. They will
be back today or tomorrow.
We are also teaching another family,
Francisco and Claudia, who are members of an active family of members. It
appears that Claudia is already a member from childhood, but has been outside of
the Church for years. Her husband, Francisco, and all of his family are
Evangelical Christians, and they have participated in that church off and on
during their married life. We have had a few lessons with them now, and they are
an excellent family. They read the chapters we leave for them to read in the
Book of Mormon, and are praying about it to know the truth. They are married,
which is always nice, and are very receptive to the things we teach them. We had
a wonderful lesson on Friday about the Plan of Salvation and eternal families,
in which the Spirit was very strong. We´ll continue working with them and try to
help them become an eternal family.
Well, that´s about all I have in
news for this week. I love you all and pray that all is well with each of you.
Love, Elder Fugal